Squeak on FreeBSD 6.0

Takeshi MUTOH mutoh at openedu.org
Tue Mar 7 11:28:19 UTC 2006

Hi!
I'm squeak user using FreeBSD.

At Tue, 07 Mar 2006 10:40:34 +0100,
Elod Kironsky <kironsky at grisoft.cz> wrote:
> I curious if someone managed to run Squeak on a FreeBSD 6.0. I
> downloaded the VM from the main site, but that install is for ver 4.x. I
> installed it anyway, but get a error message that libutil.so not found
> or something in that manner.

I try to run it, too. But I don't accomplish it.

First, you must install compat4x library (misc/compat4x).
If you install it, but squeakland.org version VM for 4.8R can't run in
my FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE environment.
I think it has some problem at plugin loading part.

By the way, how about using ports system?
Current FreeBSD lang/squeak port use 3.6-3 VM.

But I have 3.7-7 VM version of lang/squeak port for myself;-)

It add some improvement below:
- Better FFI plugin support
- Better web browser plugin
- XIM support (mainly for Japanese people)

If you try it, I'll send you.

Thanks.
--
Takeshi MUTOH	<mutoh at openedu.org>