Ask not what the board can do for you, ask rather what you can do for us all (was: Re: bugs on mantis: who assigns them ?)

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Mar 7 21:31:30 UTC 2006

On 07.03.2006, at 19:55, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On the subject of Mantis and who does what with it:
>
> It's great when someone takes the time to report a problem and
> still better when they include a decent amount of information about
> the problem, how it happened, what image, what machine, what VM,
> update level etc. Reading  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/
> ~sgtatham/bugs.html is a useful way to spend a moment.
>
> What happens next is..... nothing much, usually. This is a tragedy.
> All that information waiting to be used to improve our world. Sigh.

What I would like to try once would be managing those issues on
mantis "GTD" style... I suppose everyone on this list knows what GTD
is... no?
So there are those kinds of books that nobody admits of reading but
magically they sell a lot: Self Help Books. (I hear a terrified
scream from the back).
GTD is just one of those books... but it was somwhow good enough to
get it's own TLA. Now that says something about hacker-compatibility...

The first step to GTD is to take the amorphous blob (Mantis) and
declare it to be the INBOX. Now let's take every item out of the
INBOX and ask
one simple Question: "What is the next action?".... and so on. There
are lots of descriptions of the process on the web (just google for
GTD to learn more).

It would be interesting to see how this process would work out... the
main problem with most items in Mantis is that we exactly have not
defined
what need to happen next. Does it need to be discussed? Routed to a
Team? put into 3.9a? or 3.8? or both? patched to be able to be added
to 3.9a?

Hard to say with the current setup. And then all the stuff that I
can't do anything about, why do I see that? For me, a Graphics bug is
done as soon as
I have recognized it to be a graphics bugs. i can't do anything. move
along. Same with network, VM, lots of stuff. There are thigs where
the issue
needs to be discussed. Others are Projects, we know that they should
be done, but it will take a huge effort: for bugfixing, there is
nothing that
can be done. Then there is the general difference between "bugs that
need to be fixed" and "bugs that are fixed but the fix is not yet in
the release".
Other issues have a huge discussion, mayeb 5 different changesets,
some containing tests, some different versions of a fix. What is the
next action?

It would be nice to filter a true "next actions" list out of that big
pile of stuff  that we have now on mantis.

Maybe we can start simple: Define "Next action" for each and every
bug report, just as a comment. That would be a start.

     Marcus