3.9a-7006: ":=" replaced by "_"

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Wed Mar 8 21:51:28 UTC 2006

Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 08.03.2006, at 09:38, Dan Corneanu wrote:
>
>> Marcus Denker wrote:
>>

>>> Before 3.9 goes beta, we will have relaced all the _ by :=, and
>>> everything will be fine.
>>>
>>>       Marcus
>>>
>> What happend with '<-' ? I kind of liked it more than ':=' or '_'.
>>

> There is no backarrow on my keyboard, and there is no backarrow
> in the ASCII font. Especially, it is *extremely* strange to just co-opt
> the underscore.

Actually, it's the other way round... early versions of ASCII (1963) had
the left and up arrow symbols. Only later (1967) they morphed into
underscore and circumflex accent (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII). Looks like the early Smalltalk
implementors had an ASCII-1963 manual floating around, or they were
printing out source code on older printers with those glyphs...
My first "real" computer (a TRS-80) also had left arrow and up arrow
symbols in its character ROM (and no lowercase letters until I soldered
an additional memory chip onto the 7-bit screen memory...), so it seemed
very natural to me when I was introduced to Smalltalk a number of years
later.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin