[BUG] Integer hex is missing in 7006?

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Mar 10 07:43:41 UTC 2006

On 09.03.2006, at 21:15, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> I could do not send the "offensive" mail and maybe pass a long time
> until
> this trivial bug was discovered and fixed.

Yes. So do you propose everyone should now start to write mails
in your style? Will this improve the time it takes to have bugs fixed
or will this make everyone just leave the community?

> By the way , in previous image say hex was deprecated for Integer,
> was is a
> inconsistent if still exist in Character and others classes, all
> hex should
> go deprecated or Integer hex resurrected.

Yes, it was deprecated in 3.8 And we remove deprecated method *by
default*
one version later.

So the whole problem was not caused done by the 3.9a release team. It
was
a side effect that would habe happened regardless of the person doing
3.9a.

So after removing deprecations, Of course, it can happen that then we
find out
that in some cases, we should retain  the deprecated methods another
release,
or that the deprecation was actually a bad idea. This could well be
the case
with #hex.

> I vote for hex resurrected.

So why didn't you write a mail that explained that nicely? Yes, it
takes a long
time to get changes in the release. But this is not the fault of
those few who
are crazy enough to try to improve Squeak... so I don't see how
making those
few feel miserable will help getting fixes accepted faster.

Maybe I should just stop... in the end, what use it all that work?
It's only making
everyones live harder. We should have declared Squeak to be
"untouchable"
with 3.5, closed the project and moved on.

       Marcus