I'm unable to run squeak

Josef Hajas jhajas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 16:06:58 UTC 2006

>- Making sure that Squeak isn't trying to load plugins from elsewhere
>than where it is meant to load them. This is a bit tricky; there are a
>few places it (iirc) looks automatically. Delete them all? Rename them?

nax at naxbook ~ $ squeak -version
3.7-7 #1 Pá bře 10 16:40:32 CET 2006 gcc 3.3.5-20050130
Squeak3.7 of '4 September 2004' [latest update: #5989]
Linux naxbook 2.6.14-gentoo-r2 #1 PREEMPT Wed Nov 30 19:02:18 CET 2005
i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
default plugin location: /usr//lib/squeak/3.7-7/*.so
nax at naxbook ~ $ ls /usr//lib/squeak/3.7-7/*.so
/usr//lib/squeak/3.7-7/npsqueak.so*
nax at naxbook ~ $

From strace I can see which directories are searched for plugins (I
can't rename /lib or /usr/lib, but there isn't any file loaded
according to).

>- Do you have any "odd" files in the current working directory? Try
>running squeak completely from a single directory (including plugins,
>image and executable).

No, I have tried run it from empty directory with single image and it
fail in same way.

>- Are you using a 64-bit build? I'm seeing stat64() in the strace, so it
>seems so. Have you tried making a 32-bit build instead, or downloading
>the 64-bit VM (google for it... I'm too lazy to find a link)?

No, I have ThinkPad T42 with mobile centrino (Pentium M) which is
32bit architecture. Even if I have some wrong configuration and
building 64bit VM why then fail this binary distribution
http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/unix-linux/Squeak-3.8-6665-i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.7.7.tar.gz

>The strace also has a stack trace at the end which appears to be trying
>to make a snapshot? This I don't understand - it should only happen if
>you save and quit the image.

I don't have an idea what does this mean, but Squeak never ever
successfully run on this laptop. I have installed VisualWorks, but
Squeak seems to be more confortable for me. That's why I really want
to run Sqeuak and learn smalltalk in this environment.

>I also see that neither the FilePlugin or the SecurityPlugin are found.
>Do you have your plugins configured correctly?

I don't thing that I have any plugins installed except that comes with
ebuild or standard installation (any FilePlugin or SecurityPlugin it
didn't installed).

Today I have noticed that better mailing list for my problem will be
wm-dev so thanks for all advices on this list.

Regards

Josef Hajas