darcs (was Re: [BUG] Integer hex is missing in 7006?)

Tom Rushworth tbr at lincsat.com
Sat Mar 11 21:41:59 UTC 2006

On 2006-Mar-10, at 09:18 , Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> goran at krampe.se puso en su mail :
>
>> I use darcs (www.darcs.net) for all my non-Squeak projects. It is a
>> truly remarkable distributed SCM which is one of the few SCMs totally
> [snip]

> This could be a solution to "all image each time" problem.
> As you are using it and a rapid view say it's implemented in
> Haskell, how
> much time you think could take implement in Squeak ?

I've looked at the darcs source, and gone to the extent of learning
to read
Haskell in order to figure it out.  Re-implementing darcs in Squeak
would be
be a big job.  Not just because Haskell has a very concise syntax
(which would
probably lead to considerable code expansion), but also because darcs
is a big
program.  The automatic merger at the heart of darcs is just not a
simple thing
to do.

Despite all that, I use darcs almost exclusively for my non-squeak
programming
and I love it.  If Goran can find a way to make use of the Haskell
version that
would really be wonderful!

> As I'm not only a compulsive complainer, if you have something at
> what could
> help with code or testing, let me know.
>
> Edgar

PS - apologies to the list moderator(s).  I use a forwarding account to
receive all my mail, and I can't make anything I send look like it
"came"
from the forwarding email address.  This means anything I send looks
like
it is coming from "outside" the list :(.

- --
Tom Rushworth
GPG: DF93 C92A A27C 7AC7 FE06  CF14 F61C 6CFA F7E8 F81C