about translations

Alberto Berti alberto at metapensiero.it
Mon Mar 13 15:33:12 UTC 2006

Takashi Yamamiya wrote:
> Hi Alberto,
>
> Perhaps I am a part of responsible for this inconvenience... When I
> started to integrate Diego's original Language Editor and Yoshiki's
> m17n, I have just ignored gettext support because the source code was
> missing and I knew nothing about gettext. But I realized the
> importance of standard way when I tried to use gettext tool today.

yeah, gettext is the de-facto standard on open source (and mostly unix
based) software projects. I works very well.

>> I've made some other steps... :)
>> I've prepared two changesets with changes coming from the
>> SqueakLand-dev image and from the SmallLand's one.
>> If all goes well, you should be able to open a LanguageEditor which
>> let you
>> insert a new LocaleID via the "new" button (just like the
>> Squeakland-dev image) and export/import translation to/from gettext
>> format using the "gettext" button backported from the SmallLand image.
>

> Actually that's a great job. By the way, where can I get latest
> SmallLand image and source? I'm willing to help you to improve
> translation issue.

Very good! :-)

For Small-Land, i've used this
http://squeak.linex.org/W32/Squeak38-SmallLand-Imagen-1226.zip image. I
don't know if there is newer version somewhere. I does contain all the
needed stuff however.

The remaining problem i'm facing right now it's the slow down of the image
when a language editor is open (after installing my backport changesets). I
tried to profile LanguageEditor's execution, but still without any real
success due to my poor knowledge of all the m17n infrastructure which
involves some very important pieces of code of the image ( stuff around
String class implementation, charset decoders/encoders and so on). One
problem that i've encountered while debugging the slow down is that it
doesn't happen as soon as a new LanguageEditor is istantiated but some
seconds after that. Maybe it is some code started by some kind of timer,
but i haven't any insight.

However, now i do use LanguageEditor just to import from gettext so i don't
  need it to be always opened, i kill it as soon as the import process ends.

Another minor problem is that gettext files are exported encoded in
iso-8859-1 ( for my language, italian) i would be much better to have them
exported as utf-8 files, but i still don't have figured out how to do that.

Maybe there are other problems dealing with languages so different from
english like yours.

Please, take a look at the changesets and try them by yourself, and report
your experience. Any report also from other languages is more than welcome!

cheers

Alberto