Proposal for the coming versions

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at techunix.technion.ac.il
Tue Mar 14 22:39:19 UTC 2006

Cees de Groot wrote:

>Could you explain a bit about the Gemstone model you are referring to?
>I only have marginal GS exposure, and I'm sure that I'm not the only
>one.

Its been a while, so I may be missing some of the details...

Gemstone keeps multiple versions of classes in the image, each in a
linear collection of versions. Instances can hop rom one version to the
next lazily (or be pushed) and custom methods are written to specify how
variable values should change. Such a conversion would happen in a
transaction, therefore every instance is consistent - in one version or
the other.

So this gives a framework for making class evolution happen in a nice
orderly manner, without data loss or even significant downtime/delays.
This is clearly a priority if we remember GS is a database, but
never-ending image transformations or recompilations are a bane for us
too. Certainly when stopped half way through... ;-)

These are not our top issues to solve, and almost certainly not the
techniques we need to use, but its worth remembering that solutions are
out there. Alan Lovejoy's recent message sounds more directly relevant.

Daniel Vainsencher