Please recommend Squeak projects for presentation

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Wed Mar 15 19:48:05 UTC 2006

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Martin McClure wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm presenting a seminar in April
>> * titled "Real-World Uses of Smalltalk, or What Do People Actually Do
>>   with Smalltalk?"
>> * at the Smalltalk Solutions / LinuxWorld / NetworkWorld conference
>>   in Toronto.
>> * My hope is to entice attendees that don't know Smalltalk to want
>>   to learn more about it.
>> I'm hoping that you can recommend several projects that use Squeak
>> for me to mention.

> this sounds great, and I hope that you keep us abreast of the project
> and allow us to view, and hear, the presentation.

I don't think there are plans to tape the presentation, so to view/hear
it you'll have to be there. However, I'll post a link to the PDF handout
once the presentation is over.

And if anyone that's going to the conference wants to volunteer their
time and equipment to tape my talk, I'll certainly try to get approval
from the conference management.

> Why did you pick 40 projects at 30sec each? Why not less projects and
> more time?

Since Smalltalk Solutions is combined with LinuxWorld / NetworkWorld
this year, most attendees won't be familiar with Smalltalk. There are
other Smalltalk talks at the conference that focus on one or two
projects. My goal is to demonstrate that a whole lot of folks use
Smalltalk for a wide variety of things by giving a lot of actual
examples. It's a sales pitch for Smalltalk, though not a sales pitch for
any particular flavor of Smalltalk. I plan to break up the cavalcade of
projects with a few short demonstrations, which will take about half of
the time in the 50-minute seminar.

-Martin