Preparing movie of Bryce's talk (was Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Thu Mar 16 08:35:33 UTC 2006

Hi fellas!

Bryce Kampjes <bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Michael Haupt writes:
>  >
>  > > Last night on IRC, I think I heard Goran mention he was doing a
>  > > write-up and converting Bryce's slides, so I'd say that there's a
>  > > decent chance of that happening.
>  >
>  > Oh, great; something to look forward to! :-)
>
> But it'll have to be after Smalltalk Solutions because I'm giving my
> talk there so I don't want it published until after that.

Yes, I have a writeup about to be published, not super long, but at
least a writeup. Will try to get it up today.

No, I haven't been converting any slides (Bryce just mentioned he
decided to make all new slides for StS).

But one thing is fun:

I have 60 minutes of Bryce's presentation in Brussels on my Linux laptop
in miniDV format (14Gb). I took great care in filming each slide and
switching back and forth to Bryce and the slides are definitely readable
because I zoomed max. The tape ended before Bryce was finished - but I
only lost the last minutes and IIRC that was mostly "smalltalk" :).

Bryce and I have agreed that I can throw up this movie together with
some kind of handouts possibly (from Bryce) at the *exact moment* that
Bryce speaks at StS! :) So all of us not being able to be there can at
least enjoy the rehearsal presentation from Brussels and perhaps join up
at IRC to talk about it.

I played last night with encoding the movie in DivX or XviD using
mencoder - if anyone has a perfect oneliner that goes well with miniDV
(dv2 format) I gladly am all ears. I toyed around and read lots of
webpages and learned a lot - but it is really a jungle.

My pre-conclusion is to use the XviD codec (2 passes) with mp3 (mp3lame,
variable bitrate) for sound since it apparently is one of the best
around.

regards, Göran

PS. For next party we should bring more tapes and a power adaptor (so
that the battery in the camera doesn't run out) and take turns filming.
We could turn these parties into net events that people can "attend"
virtually and discuss together on IRC.