Squeak on UTF-8 system

Petr petr at madnetwork.org
Thu Mar 16 13:23:31 UTC 2006

Hello guys,
I have been dealing with a similar issue for a few days already. Though,
my problem lies somewhere inside WAKom/WAKomEncoded or the underlying
widechar conversion classes. I have two half-working scenarios.
1) WAKom: I enter unicode text inside Squeak. When it is displayed in my
web app, it is in wrong encoding. However, text which I feed to Squeak
image through web browser is saved inside as UTF-8 and then displayed as
I want on the web page. When I print the text inside of my image, it has
some characters substituted with combinations of other characters.
2) WAKomEncoded: Unfortunately it means, I can have accented text
entered into my image only through web interface. So I tried
WAKomEncoded, which successfully recodes from Squeak to UTF-8 and
renders text properly in browser. BUT text entered in browser and
displayed back is not recoded properly. The UTF-8 conversion substitutes
the letters with accent with other combination of characters then it should.
This problem arises on system with any encoding.

Cheers,

Petr