Squeak on UTF-8 system

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Fri Mar 17 07:41:46 UTC 2006

  Hello,

> does your squeak uses UTF-8? As far as I know default system does not
> use this encoding and I (using Korean and UTF-8) have to modified
> squeak so that it use UTF-8 encoding and after this I can get correct
> display in both browser and web browser(seaside application). Hope
> this can help you.

  I think I asked this once before, and I apologize if I have missed
the response from you, but can you tell me a bit about the
modification you made?

> PS)
> I think Squeak should use UTF-8 (or any equivalent unicode based
> encoding scheme, I think UTF-8 is best choice) exclusively.

  The internal encoding of current Squeak is Unicode based, and it can
communicate with the external world in many variety of encodings,
including UTF-8.

  Using exclusively UTF-8 (for the external encoding) will be too
limiting in many applications on many platforms.  It is a good idea to
use a single internal representation, and Unicode is a compromization
today for this purpose (and Squeak uses it, too.)  But there is no
good reason to limit the external encoding.

-- Yoshiki