For interest: Magma in 3.9a-7008

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Mar 19 17:05:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

Did you have Monticello installed in the 3.8 image? If not, then it uses
MCInstaller for loading the package, which is much faster then
Monticello
itself (which is installed in 3.9a).

Other then that: Yes, it's slow... we are looking into it a bit as
time permits.
Friday we found a huge bottleneck of Monticello to be calling #category
on Classes a lot, which does a linear search... 7013 has a patch that
makes #category ~ 10 times faster on everage (for classes "at the end"
which newly loaded classes are, much much more). This turns out to
double MC loading speed... amazing.

I'm sure there are a lot of cases like this in Squeak... we only need
to find
and fix them ;-)

      Marcus