performance 3.8 vs. 3.9a

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Mar 21 00:48:29 UTC 2006

Well let's see I noticed the default image 3.9a is set to 16bit,
change that to 32bit because 16bit requires an extra transformation
step on
the way to 32bit screens.

41% is interpreter loop
15% is in garbage collection and object allocation
5% is copyLooopNoSource
4% is copyLoopPixMap
4% is proceedRenderingScanline
4% is lookupMethodInClass

Now if I alter things a bit and do

Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit: 16*1024*1024.
Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrow: 1.

Then we shave 2% off the GC work and interpreter loop is now 43%

7006, with 3.8.11b4U vm on 1.5Ghz Pb 17 with other things running...

8536.0   16bit
8448.0   32bit
8349.8   32bit and GC tuning

And about 30%+ is tied up in rendering then.

I'll note in 3.8 a quick test shows times at 15451.6 with
interpreter loop at 54%

On 20-Mar-06, at 2:56 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To me, 3.9a feels a little bit snappier than 3.8... (thanks to a
> lot of work by a lot
> of people, Eddie Cottongim I think did many of the big-gain
> changesets).
>
> So here is the benchmark again that opens 5*10 browsers on
> #abandonSources.
>
> This, of course, is an "apples vs. oranges" benchmark... e.g. there
> are many more
> systemcategories and classes in 3.9 than in 3.8... and early
> version don't render
> TrueType fonts for the window title. But in the end, we just want
> to open
> a Browser, and that should not take a too long.
>
> 3.5     5021.4
> 3.6     5282.2
> 3.7:    8838.4
> 3.8:   12010.8
> 3.9a:   7648.0
>
> (Powerbook 1.5Ghz, all 32bit color, same vm)
>
> So at least, the trend of the "ever slower Squeak" has been stopped.
> 1.57 times faster  then 3.8, faster then 3.7... but slower then 3.6.
> Nevertheless, not too bad, as a start.
>
>       Marcus
===