Squeak on UTF-8 system

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Wed Mar 22 11:51:10 UTC 2006

  Hello,

> My modification is very simple - hard part is finding/importing good
> quality korean font - I only did create UnicodeEnvironment (subclass
> of LanguageEnvironment) because all other subclasses of
> LanguageEnvironment uses different charset from Unicode. And I
> configured squeak to use UnicodeEnvironment instead of default
> Latin1Environment.

  I must have forgotten the changes I made while ago.  Please find
the following and attachment.  If you can share your work with us,
that would be really great, by the way!

-- Yoshiki
-------------------------------
To: picxenk at gmail.com
Cc: Takashi Yamamiya <tak at metatoys.org>, abee.abe at nifty.ne.jp
Subject: Re: How to build korean image of Squeak
From: Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at squeakland.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 03:52:53 -0800

  Hello, Seungbum,

  I did some attempt to support Korean in the latest Squeakland
image.  It is doing something seemingly right, but as always, I cannot
tell that for sure.  Can you try it and how it is doing?

  To try it:
  * Download an image from:
    http://www.squeakland.org/installers/SqueakPluginImage-dev.zip
    and unpack it.
  * Download the 'font file' from:
    http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/tmp/uKoreanFont.out
    and place the file in the same folder as
    SqueakPluginImage-dev.image.
  * Launch the image and choose 'update code from server' from the
    help menu in the World menu.
  * (From the file list), load the attached into the image.  It may
    take some time, but should work.
  * Switch to Korean from World menu -> 'help...' -> 'set language...'
    menu.  This may also take some time, but should work.

  Now, you should be able to input Korean characters on Windows.  I
don't know if it works on Linux in some settings, but I would imagine
that you will need a custom VM, as the Japanese support does.

  Let me know how it goes.

  Thank you,

-- Yoshiki

The way I created the uKoreanFont.out is:

  * Download efont-unicode-bdf-0.4.2, shinonome-0.9.11p1, and
    intlfonts-1.2.1 and copy the necessary files to the same folder as
    SqueakPluginImage-dev.image
  * Evaluate:
    StrikeFontSet createExternalFontFileForUnicodeKorean: 'uKoreanFont.out'.