Integrating another library in squaeak

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Thu Mar 23 10:51:29 UTC 2006

Hi!

I missed the post below in my other answer so:

"nelson -" <nelson1977 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I have some beautilful libraries written in python and i want to call
> them from smalltalk. It would be great to make this "integration" platform
> independent. What is the way that i can follow? (in windows i think i can
> make a COM server, but i prefer a general solution, if possible :) )
>
> thanks,
>   nelson

Well, you could try making a "python plugin" that embeds the Pythin
interpreter in a plugin. See more details at:

	http://www.python.org/doc/faq/extending

But this is not a simple thing to do, you need to dabble around in C and
learn the voodoo of plugin making, even though there are several
examples to look at.

A simpler approach with much worse performance (but it might not be a
problem for you) is to simply try using SOAP.

There are probably more ways to do it too.

regards, Göran