Testing Squeak in Ubuntu - Dapper Drake.

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Fri Mar 24 10:26:11 UTC 2006

Am 23.03.2006 um 23:25 schrieb Bryce Kampjes:

> Damien Cassou writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to help with ubuntu and squeak. I have a breezy and a
>> dapper on my system.
>>

>> Dapper is the amd64 version but I can change if it is needed for the
>> tests. It seems the virtual machine does not exist for amd64. What
>> can I
>> do to help you ?
>
> The key thing is to test the install for the 32 bit install. The
> idea is to make sure that what's in the dapper release should
> just work. The key audience is teachers and people who're not yet
> sold on Squeak but will try it out if the packages work cleanly.
>
> Just install 32 bit Dapper and try to install Squeak, think about how
> the install works if you're not a knowledgeable Squeaker. Talk to the
> Ubuntu packagers on #ubuntu-motu and explain to them what needs to be
> done so it will work.
>
> We owe this opportunity to Hilaire and the others who've convinced the
> Ubuntu people that Squeak's a great educational platform. What we need
> to do now is make sure that the Ubuntu packages do work for normal
> people. This is the Ubuntu mission and they're a friendly helpful
> crowd. All that you need to do is to test their Squeak packages and
> then explain to them how it works if there are problems.

I haven't looked at the Ubuntu packages, but we have current debian
packages for Squeakland:

	http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/installers/ux.html

	(dev snapshots at http://impara.de/debian/)

These packages include a menu entry, automated user setup, create a
"My Squeak" link on the user's desktop (similar to Mac and Windows) etc.

What is the base for the Ubuntu packages?

- Bert -