[Seaside] WeakArray (again)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Mar 25 05:36:41 UTC 2006

Ooo finalization, my favourite nasty problem, in past experience on
other Smalltalks watching production systems
burn, is that finalization is a process that happens in the future at
the wrong time and at the wrong rate. Usually
this is discovered after the system goes into production.

That said Andreas comment about doing finalization over a time period
is  a good idea, keep in mind that you might
need to apply some adaptive feedback say to ensure the finalization
work doesn't cause performance concerns,  by
varying how many you look at in a pass based on the array size or
something.  It's possible finalization could take 20 seonds
if things are busy, however such logic was the downfall of earlier
versions of VisualWorks which would finalizes only one
object per new space GC collection.

lastly don't forget

	Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit: 16*1024*1024.
	Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrow: 1.

On 24-Mar-06, at 8:37 PM, David Shaffer wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> True. From what I've seen over at the Seaside mailing list it seems
>> pretty clear that the main issue is that the finalization process
>> simply kicks in *way* to often.

===