SUnit: Skipping tests?

Diego Fernandez diegof79 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 00:53:15 UTC 2006

On 3/28/06, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:

> The big advantage of this approach is that you already have an
> instance of your model, and since this is self you are also able to
> directly access the i-vars what can be very useful for some kind of
> (internal) tests:
>
> OrderedCollection>>beginOfTest
>     <begin>
>     self add: 1; add: 2
>
> Point>>test
>     <test>
>     self assert: lastIndex - firstIndex  = 1.
>     self assert: (array includes: 1).
>     self assert: (array includes: 2).

 For me isn't a good idea to do "white box" testing. In the
OrderedCollection example given, I don't care how the items are handled in
the collection object, and I couldn't find any good reason to make a test
like that. Because if I do a re factoring, maybe I have to modify all the
tests written in that way :(

> Another idea I saw in a Java testing framework is the possibility to
> group-tests, so you can add an annotation like <group: #windows> or
> <group: #slow> and the test runner would allows to run (or filter out)
> specific groups.

 I like the idea of test groups (that's I was trying to say in my previous
mail :) ).
 But I don't like the idea of having "annotations"... I hate them :P Because
an annotation for me is like an "attribute", it's only data without
behavior, but in the system is necessary to take decisions based on this
"attribute value". For example if the "test group" is reified, you can have
platform specific tests and skip the tests that doesn't applies to the
platform, this decision to skip the test could be made in the test group.
(anyway a TestSuite is a "test group", the problem for me is that SUnit
builds the "all tests" test suite collecting #allSubclasses of TestCase,
maybe if the construction of the "all tests" is a little more "intelligent"
we can have "test groups" without adding annotations to the test methods)

I wonder where I can find some documentation about SUnitToo, I am
> really interested to see what they did there. I started to play a bit
> with the existing framework and see what tools could be useful ...

This is the first time that I heard about SUnitToo... I will take a look,
thanks :)

Cheers,
Diego.-