Henrik antialising

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 30 12:58:59 UTC 2006

I can think of a number of possibilites.

Cache all the glyphs for a font at certain point sizes, plus the metrics. Freeze
that cache, and carry it around in the image.

Carry the font file around in the image, and push it onto the disk if missing.
Then read from disk.

Carry the font file around in the image, and get Freetype to load it from an
in-memory stream.

Revert to an available font (ttf, internal Strike, or whatever) if the font file
is missing.

Then there are licensing issues. Some font files may be freely distributable,
others may only be distributable in the original form, others not distributable
at all. etc. So, perhaps we need to be able to do a mixture of all the above?
I'm not sure what the license for the Bitstream Vera fonts says.
But, in any case, handling missing fonts seems like a good idea :)
Cheers,
Andy