Henrik antialising

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Thu Mar 30 13:35:37 UTC 2006

Yes, pretty much (I think all) of the sub-pixel rendering ideas predate any
of the patents, so they are all moot. (And BTW, this is true for defining
fonts as curves (Patrick Baudelaire at PARC did it first, and then Knuth
did a lot). Apple did virtually all of the TType work and then shared with
MS in a deal, which MS has been abusing. The idea of hinting for small
fonts goes back to PARC (and I think was part of the general heuristic of
hinting that Butler Lampson formulated for lots of things).

The earliest use of "color picking" as it was known back then was done at
MIT in Negroponte's lab in the early 70s. Later and independently Woz came
up with an interesting scheme that picked colors to get more resolution on
a color CRT. However, no one has done the work to strike down the patents
(this is one of the reasons why this broken process today is so pernicious).

Cheers,

Alan