[ANN] Self-bootstrapping environment for Squeak 3.9a

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Fri Mar 31 22:03:24 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've created the first tolerably usable version of self-bootstrapping
environment for Squeak 3.9a that can produce kernel image. It's
delivered from
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-October/096029.html
but it's prepared completely from scratch. You can find it here:
http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/uploads/20/kernel.tar.bz2

You need the fresh image 3.9a-6719. Then evaluate

Smalltalk condenseChanges

This step is necessary because of limitation of maximal changes file
size. Condensing of changes files doesn't work well because it corrupts
the methods that contains WideStrings. So you have to load file
UTF8Patch.1.cs.

This image detaches GUI and model of changes so it contains new class
named ChangesOrganizer. It has to be loaded before bootstrapping and
it's included in ChangesOrganizer.st.

Then load Bootstrap.st. This file contains bootstrapping tools.

The source codes of bootstrapped image are included in Mirrors.cs. The

For opening of the console evaluate "Bootstrap start". In the console
evaluate command "Bootstrap revert". This commnad will merge mirrors of
classes, then it removes unnecessary classes including mirrors and
recompiles whole image.

The result can be saved using "Smalltalk snapshot: true andQuit: false"

This image is not absolutely clean. It contains some obsolete classes
(I've got one clean image without obsolete classes, it will no problem
to fix it).

Have lot of fun

-- Pavel

Some modifications:

If you look at mirror of UIManager, you will see some new messages like
onEventSensorStartup. The sender of this message is mirror of
EventSensor>>startUp. In the original method is line

Smalltalk isMorphic ifTrue:[self flushAllButDandDEvents].

so we need only write the content of the block to the MorphicUIManager
-- and so on... This is one set of modifications.

There is one correction of current sources -- class AsyncFile used class
variable named Error and this name collided with another class name.

Some methods contain comment " shrinked ". This is removed functionality
and we need to discuss next destiny of such stuff. For example the
SecurityManager is dependent on cryptography classes. It's possible to
remove it completely but it plays important role during Squeak startup.
But without cryptography this class is not complete, so it's good
candidate for next refactoring.

The last set of interventions are little modifications of souces like in
XxxMultiCharacterScanner>>scanMultiCharactersFrom:to:in:rightX:stopConditions:kern:.
This method uses class TTCFontSet that is removed. We need to suppose
that competent package (with true-type font support) will modify this
method or refactor it to enable more elegant way how to solve this.
Another example is sLanguageEnvironment class>>startUp etc. I try to
have the set of such modifications as small as possible.

AutoStart is currently removed from startUpList...