Peeping At The KeyHole

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon May 1 17:59:20 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, SmallSqueak <smallsqueak at rogers.com> wrote:

> About adding methods to existing classes ....
>
>    Is this a rule, that I have to add methods to existing classes?
>    Would you please explain why it is a good thing.

You don't have to, but you can.  You can't do it in C++ or Java.  It is a
good thing because sometimes when you want to extend a system, you want old
objects to interact well with new objects, and it is easier if you can add
methods to old objects.  And I really mean "old objects" and not just "old
classes", though of course that is included.

Suppose you want to add a new kind of tool to the system, one that helps you
debug objects.  You want to be able to send a message "debug" to every
object.  You can add a default "debug" method to class Object and override
that method in classes that need a different implementation.

   What if the authors of the existing classes don't want
>    anything added to their classes?

When you publish the source code to something, it is a gift to the world.
The world can do what it wants with it.  If you think the world is better
off without adding methods to a particular class, by all means write a
comment to that effect.  But you might be wrong, and the world will show you
by adding methods anyway.

> Just focus on Collection classes and numbers.
>
>    I like to ignore these as well.

I think this is a mistake.  The collection classes are very important.  They
are also great examples of well-designed Smalltalk classes.

-Ralph Johnson