Squeak image format documentation

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue May 2 16:59:00 UTC 2006

On 2-May-06, at 9:29 AM, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> where can I find detailed documentation on the Squeak image format

You will find some of that in the various chapters of the nuBlue book
(online copies of chapters at http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/) and in comments and methods in the
ObjectMemory class that is a part of the VMMaker package on
SqueakMap. The book chapters are somewhat outdated in a few details
and I expect the code comments could do with some improving too.

> and

The image loading process is implemented in
Interpreter>readImageFromFile:HeapSize:StartingAt: and related
methods. All it does is open the relevant image file, read it into
memory, possibly run through to flip endianness, possibly run through
to update pointers and some othe minor housekeeping. Nothing really
clever.

What's the reason for your interest?

tim
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.