Squeak image format documentation

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Tue May 2 17:10:18 UTC 2006

Hi Tim,

many thanks for your quick response. I tried to find information via
the Swiki at minnow.cc.gatech.edu, but that server seems to be down
(?!); at least, it refuses connections.

On 5/2/06, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> You will find some of that in the various chapters of the nuBlue book
> (online copies of chapters at http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
> FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/)

Many thanks - would that be your "A Tour of the Squeak Object Engine"
chapter? Are there any others I should look at?

> and in comments and methods in the
> ObjectMemory class that is a part of the VMMaker package on
> SqueakMap.

I was afraid of that. ;-) I wanted to avoid looking at too much source
code... a concise specification of the format would have been great.
Well, I'll see what I can do.

> The image loading process is implemented in
> Interpreter>readImageFromFile:HeapSize:StartingAt: and related
> methods. ...

Thanks once more.

> What's the reason for your interest?

On the one hand, sheer interest in VMs generally and Smalltalk VMs
particularly. On the other hand, I'm doing some teaching on VMs this
summer semester, and this Thursday's topic, amongst others, is how
applications (or entire "snapshot" worlds) are made available to VMs.

Best,

Michael