[ann][vm][unix] 3.9-4

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Fri May 5 12:52:58 UTC 2006

Am 04.05.2006 um 00:59 schrieb Matej Kosik:

> Ian Piumarta wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Source code, pre-loaded VMM image, precompiled Linux/386 and
>> Darwin/ PPC
>> binaries available.
>>
>> http://squeakvm.org/unix/
>>

> Hello,
>
> I have observed the following problem with current (but it might be
> also the problem of the previous) version:
>
> when I do not (yet) have ~/.npsqueak directory, the squeak browser
> plugin itself refuses
> to work. It does so because it (before it executes `npsqueakrun')
> checks whether
> the plugin image exists inside ~/.npsqueak. If not, it prints an
> error message
> (which can be observed on stderr) and terminates. The squeaklet is
> not shown.

Actually, it tests if the image file already exists in ~/.npsqueak,
or if can be installed from the system directory (SYSTEM_IMG_DIR
which is configured to be /usr/lib/squeak/...). If neither of the two
is found, the plugin image is not installed correctly, so we are
redirected to the failureURL.

> My proposal is, that the plugin should ignore the fact whether
> ~/.npsqueak
> exists or not. It should go ahead and execute `npsqueakrun'.

... which will fail if it cannot find the image either. But at that
point it is to late, we cannot redirect the browser to the plugin
download page (failureURL).

> Did you also notice this problem? If yes, it can be easily correct
> for example as follows:
>
> The changed `npsqueak.c' file is even simpler than before.

That's because it removes essential functionality.

You might check what SYSTEM_IMG_DIR is on your install and if there
is a plugin image file actually installed there.

- Bert -