Smalltalk: Requiem or Resurgence? {Dr. Dobb's Journal (05/06/06) Chan, Jeremy}

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Wed May 10 21:28:30 UTC 2006

Yes Smalltalk is a living system, and supports mutation far better than
other systems.  In Smalltalk to change the definition of a class like
Customer you just change it.  In Java you recompile it, stop the old server,
start the new one, and add all the logic to migrate instances in the
database from the old to the new format, implement a different serialization
file format, or such.  Because all other systems start with a clean slate
persistent data must be stored in a non-object separate form as data, and
the objects reconstituted from that.

I think where Smalltalk lost is in not getting the difference in perspective
and its benefits out.  While many even in the Smalltalk community disparage
become: it is fundamental to many of the benefits in Smalltalk. The ability
to adapt objects in-flight, to update execution contexts, to update existing
object instances, to transform a small integer to a large integer
transparently.  Just as Lisp, APL, or other "niche" languages require
thinking about programming differently, Smalltalk does as well.  The OO
aspect of Smalltalk is a small part of the value, but is what gets all the
press time.

Unfortunately these days there needs to be either a large benefactor or a
strong grass-roots effort to get a technology going.  Smalltalk never really
had a benefactor, and the grass roots support is not getting a lot of
projects started.  While Squeak can do far more than Ruby or Python, they
get much more press.  In part this is because Smalltalk is seen as old.  We
need to get the message out that there are a lot of aspects to Smalltalk
that have not been moved to the current crop of "OO" languages.  We also
need to get some good performance comparisons (time and space) comparing
modern Smalltalk to other "scripting" or "dynamic" languages.  I bet
comparing to .Net 2.0 would be an interesting space / time comparison as
well.

Michael