Exupery status

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Thu May 11 19:50:12 UTC 2006

Michael Latta writes:
 > What is the status of the Exupery compiler?  Is it being used in 3.9?

Exupery is moving forward. I'm finishing up native block compilation
and working on compiling super sends for this release. That should
mean that Exupery will be able to compile most methods. Compiled blocks
work for correct code but don't yet check the number of
arguments. The compiled blocks will also need some work to make them
play nicely with the debugger. They're stable now so long as the
compiled code is bug free and doesn't end up in a debugger.

The release after that will finish off dynamic inlining for primitives
which should help for several common methods including #at: and
#at:put:, @, and new.

That leaves some loose ends and a few more primitives. So I guess
another release or two to be ready for a 1.0.

At that point it would be nice to get Exupery's VM extensions added
to the stock VMs. Then it'll be easy for people to load Exupery from
SqueakMap. I'm hoping for a 1.0 release in the next year.

The next few weeks will be slow, I'm in the process of looking for
another job. My current job is finishing in June.

Bryce