Smalltalk: Requiem or Resurgence? {Dr. Dobb's Journal (05/06/06) Chan, Jeremy}

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri May 12 16:47:50 UTC 2006

>>> I think your utterly wrong here.
>>
>> So, explain how.  It is impolite to just say "you are wrong" and not
>> to explain why.
>
> Maybe I'm being impolite, but really, what's so hard about it? You
> stuff a VM, an image, and a startup script into an RPM and you're
> *done*. You design your app with support for loadable modules (its
> not actually hard to load a class from a file) and have this
> extension installed by installshield. Where's the problem?

On some platforms it can be even simpler, requiring no special
installation at all.
Example 1 - RISC OS (because I know a fair bit about it). Insert
image in application directory. Insert changelog, if required, into
application. Zip. Upload to server. User downloads. User can run
application from within zip (just one of those nice things RISC OS
has been able to do since DOSosaurs stalked the earth) or simply drag
the app out of the zip to save somewhere else.
Example 2 - OSX. Build an application bundle - this is what Sophie
does. Upload to server. User downloads. Run application.

If an OS is making it any harder than that, don't use such a lousy
OS. And no, I'm not smiling, or being sarcastic or ironic or anything
other than straight. If you are using an OS that makes life
difficult, don't.

tim
You can't make a program without broken egos.