Smalltalk: Requiem or Resurgence? {Dr. Dobb's Journal (05/06/06) Chan, Jeremy}

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Sat May 13 20:19:51 UTC 2006

Le Samedi 13 Mai 2006 15:10, Alejandro F. Reimondo a écrit :
> > Creating standards is easy for them.
> > On the other side, Smalltalk has a lot of interested
> > groups (dialects).  Creating a
> > standard is quite difficult.
>
> It is called "diversity", and is an emergent observable
>  with evolution.
>
> In languages defined as one-for-all (now called "standard")
>  diversity is not observed because they are products
>  of formal design (and not of normal evolution).
>
> For formal definitions, any difference represent a problem.
> For non-formal activities a divergence is a natural path
>  to be taken by a newcommer.
> This differences make diferences in the propagation
>  process of products of formal&non-formal activities.
>
> cheers,
> Ale.

Ale, very good theory,

There are also 2 main modes of reproduction: sexual or not (simple division).

Sexual is somehow superior, because it allows mixing advantages of two
individuals.

Diversity is good since the chances of survival are increased.
But above a certain degree of difference, sexual reproduction is not possible
anymore.

I'd like Smalltalk dialects to have more sexual relations, and allow natural
mixing of some VW genes with some Squeak ones for example.
By now, i must rely on some genius of genetics to do the transplatation in
laboratory, something very expensive!

Nicolas