3.9Full

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sun May 14 15:24:18 UTC 2006

On May 14, 2006, at 4:11 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Romain described all the refactorings with services, and he did an
> integration of RB in
> OB. Romain?
> I could not find your image anymore: the  http://www.inf.unisi.ch/
> ~robbes/ does not seem to work.
>
> So it would be good to build on top of what he did. This way we
> could get the refactorings
> everywhere and not only in OB ;)

I tried that back when services were first released. There were a
couple of issues:

- Services is tightly coupled to the keybindings and menu-bar work
that Romain did. Those things might be useful as well, but I want to
be able to get refactoring support in OB without changing my UI.

- Services also relies on fetching and parsing the source code of
methods that call into it. This doesn't cause any immediate problems,
but it seems fragile, and I don't want to make OB depend on that code.

That said, services does seem like a very good approach. It decouples
the provider of the service from the mechanism for making it
available to the user. It also fits in very nicely with OB's
architecture. OB's actions could be generalized into services, and
made available to other tools.

Colin