Smalltalk: Requiem or Resurgence? {Dr. Dobb's Journal (05/06/06) Chan, Jeremy}

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Mon May 15 22:23:30 UTC 2006

There was this period when UI consistency was the holy grail.  But, the web
blew that to pieces.  Now there are so many different looks that users are
more adaptable.  Having a relatively consistent feel is still very
important.  Switching between applications that respond to the right mouse
button on mouse down, on mouse up, or on left butt with option down can
drive a user nuts.  Having the shadows going different ways does actually
drive those who have a design esthetic nuts.  If you are going to be
different be enough different that it does not clash.

A Mac user is not going to be as happy with a window level menu as with a
menu that integrates with the menu bar.  A Windows user is not going to want
an application to create a global menu bar for just that one application.
There are some macro conventions for a platform that should not be broken
just to be different, and will cost you users if you break them without a
really good reason.  The problem with the Squeak UI is not the colors, but
that the user needs to learn a whole new window management method, that is
not sufficiently better to justify the effort.  The window borders, scroll
bars, and title are also much thinner which makes them harder to hit with
the mouse.

There are counter examples also.  In using Dolphin Smalltalk I really miss
the ability to click on the start of a text block to select the block, or a
line to select the line.  Because it uses native widgets it does not have
that Smalltalk "feel" that I am used to and like for editing code.

Michael