[FFI] moving large memory

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Wed May 17 11:47:47 UTC 2006

Le Mercredi 17 Mai 2006 02:21, Alan Grimes a écrit :
> Common practice is to use BitBlt from the graphics system. I don't like
> that solution for obvious reasons but I'm sure you can find some example
> code...

Alan, thanks,
it seems convenient to move memory from Smalltalk to Smalltalk,
but i did not see any example using an ExternalAddress.
Since ExternalAddress are ByteArray with four bytes containing the address,
i'am afraid it won't be interpreted as a pointer, but an array of 32bits...
Or maybe i am wrong?

Le Mercredi 17 Mai 2006 05:46, Andreas Raab a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas -
>
> Currently, there isn't any such method. The best thing you can do is to
> call memcpy directly from your libc or so (assuming you're on a system
> that gives you access to it - on windows you might have to use
> MoveMemory or somesuch).
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Andreas, thanks
but then how do i gain pointer access to data through smalltalk oop?
Is there another way but writing a plugin?
If i must write a plugin, i suggest this kind of basic service being included
in future FFI releases.

Nicolas