binary selectors ambiguity and space

Duncan Mak duncanmak at gmail.com
Wed May 17 15:27:02 UTC 2006

On 5/17/06, Dan Ingalls <Dan at squeakland.org> wrote:

> Now the other side of your question, which I take to be
> *Why do you want to write expressions without spaces?*
> This is a stylistic thing and it truly varies for me depending on what
> kind of code I am writing.  I like to be able to write "a+1" with no spaces
> when I think of it (and want the reader to see it) as effectively a single
> symbol.  Other times I want the reader to think about the fact that we add
> one here, and then I write "a + 1".  I like having the choice between these
> two modes of expression, and that's why I want to be able to leave out the
> spaces.

I have always wondered why the standard image doesn't come with a next
method and an increment method for Integers, where next would answer x + 1
and increment would set x to be x + 1.

I remember once I had to write some counter, and I ended up writing a
wrapper class just so that I can have something like that.

Duncan.