A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?"

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Wed May 17 18:08:42 UTC 2006

At 08:40 17.05.2006, Chris Patrick Schreiner wrote:
>>First of all is the environment/IDE. With Lisp/Emacs/Slime, or for
>>that matter Java/Netbeans, to write method after method, you can
>>just type. What I saw in Squeak was a bad combination of mousing
>>and typing. You have to click in the '--all--' window of methods,
>>then mouse down to the editing pane, and replace text, then save,
>>then do it again for the next method. I'm sure this is a YMMV
>>thing, but these mini-interruptions sure wouldn't keep me in 'flow'
>>as much as just typing.
>
>I totally agree with this though

Squeak is equally convenient:
1) Do the mouse clicks to be ready for the first method.
2) Ctr-a to select all
3) Type the method code.
4) Ctr-s to accept
- repeat from 2 for next method.

Cheers
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway