A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?"

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed May 17 19:40:33 UTC 2006

On 17-May-06, at 12:04 PM, Zulq Alam wrote:

> I should have said two or more. It's an issue of screen real
> estate. Each editor can deal with all the methods in a class. You
> can then have multiple editors. A Smalltalk editor can only edit
> one method at a time, i.e. you can't move away from code that does
> not compile and that you do not want to save.
So you open another browser on the same class and/or method and there
yo uhave it. I almost always have at least 3 browsers open - one I'm
editing in, another I can look at the older version of the same
method or othermethods in the class and the last looking at related
methods around the system or finding users of the class etc.

And for you youngsters out there, this works perfectly well on
limited screen space. My first Smalltalk system had a 640 * 400
monochrome screen. This is what *overlapping* windows were invented
to deal with. It's virtual memory for screen space. 20 browsers of
various sorts is common on my system and always has been. A 20"
display just makes them bigger.

tim
Useful random insult:- Life by Norman Rockwell, but screenplay by
Stephen King.