A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?"

Darius Clarke socinian at gmail.com
Thu May 18 06:09:13 UTC 2006

Perhaps another way of thinking of "Smalltalk source code is not text", at
least in Squeak, is how one can embed links (allowing for more literate
programming), color code it and change font face, like a document (before
there was html), and even embed audio commentary in the code (or at least
links to it) which I think is a greatly under utilized possibility, adding
comments and documentation faster than that typing drudgery until
transcribed by the more diligent. Longer lasting documentation than a
podcast on how to use it. Maybe embedded screencasts or code browser
automation for illustration and training would be next. The code can sing
and speak Haiku to us more than just figuratively.