Technology of the technologies (WAS: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?")

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Thu May 18 08:55:58 UTC 2006

Hi!

Hans-Martin Mosner <hmm at heeg.de> wrote:
> tim Rowledge wrote:
> > Compiling straight to machine code is certainly doable; it simply
> > involves a lot more work since you have to develop and optimise and
> > debug a *lot* more stuff. For example, you'd have to rewrite the
> > compiler, the debugger, the InstructionStream related classes and
> > tools, any system that expects to write out methods, etc etc. Send
> > enough money and I will arrange it for you. Discussions could start
> > at, ooh, One *Million* Euros.
>
> Doable, but not really a good way to implement Smalltalk.

And so what do you guys think of Exupery? I had the distinct impression
that Exupery is exactly this (a sophisticated machine code compiler for
Smalltalk) - and as long as Exupery can mop the floor with the regular
VM performance wise - then why would it be "not really a good way"?

If the reader don't know what Exupery is then look at the movie or read
the handout:

	http://goran.krampe.se/blog/Squeak/ExuperyTalk2006.rdoc

regards, Göran