Poor TTF font performance on Linux with newer VM

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Thu May 18 09:40:58 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have recently been building VMs on Linux (to fix a bug in the
FilePlugin), and with my shiny new patched 3.9-7 VM (build from the head
of svn plus my patch) the TTF font performance (Bitstream Vera Sans) has
dropped through the floor.

I'm using a BookMorph with lots of Bitstream text morphs, and switching
pages causes the CPU to peg at 100% in Squeak for several seconds.

Switching back to a 3.7-7 VM causes the font rendering to run at normal
speed again - even when I take a 3.7-7 source tree, patch it to fix the
FilePlugin bug, and recompile.

So - it looks like something between 3.7-7 and 3.9-7 causes the TTF
performance to bottom out. What could it be? Any ideas?

Tony

PS. all this is on Debian, gcc 4.0.4, and I could be wrong about
identifying font rendering as the problem area. I know Squeak suddenly
seems to take a looooong time to do anything TTF related - strike fonts
seem to run at normal speed.

--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net