YASoB (was Re: some news)

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Thu May 18 16:17:06 UTC 2006

Jecel,

    Sorry couldn't get back to you sooner.

    Quota for SmallSqueak account (incoming+outgoing)
    got exceeded and he coudn't send any mail to the list ;-)

> Rather than speaking for Alan, I will just quote two paragraphs from his
> "Early History of Smalltalk" (there is a link to a PDF version in Stef's
> Free Books page and there is a html version with some missing pictures
> at http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/contrib/EarlyHistoryST.html):

    Many thanks for the link.

    Many thanks to whoever took the time to make this
    HTML version of the article available.

    I know there is a scanned version but I found it hard to read.

    I browsed through it and been wondering who is Semour Papert

        "A month later, I finally visited Semour Papert..."

    and who is Can:
        "Ted went back to CMU but Can was still around egging me on."

    Early Smalltalk is much more interesting than Squeak ;-) :

        "It evaluted 3 = 4
        very slowly (it was "glacial", as Butler liked to say)
        but the answer alwas came out 7."

    Who is Check:

        "Just before Check started work on the machine ..."
        "Check had started his "bet" on November 22, 1972."

    It is very much appreciated if some seasoned Smalltalkers
    would help to proof read this HTML version.

    I would like to suggest that The Squeak Foundation would
    ask for permission to put it on The Foundation home page.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo