Technology of the technologies (WAS: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?")

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu May 18 19:55:59 UTC 2006

> Hans-Martin Mosner writes:
>> Doable, but not really a good way to implement Smalltalk.
>> You'd lose the binary portability and in turn gain a lot of weight,
>> since bytecodes are so much more compact than machine language.
>> IIRC, Peter Deutsch stated that dynamic compilation of bytecodes to
>> machine language is actually faster than paging pre-compiled machine
>> code into memory.

This is one of those things that varies over time as the relative
performance of disk, main memory, cpu and cache (and its size of
course) develop. In the 84-90 timeframe when LPD was doing this work
discs were sloooooo     oooow  ww and
caches were tiny and main memory wasn't hugely slower than cache.
These days, caches are huge but still grossly inadequate to cope with
the bloated obscenities that are claimed to be 'modern operating
systems', cpus are massively faster than main memory and even more so
if actual random access of data is considered. Set against that, we
tend to have our little silicon servants doing many more things at
once and so if compiled code were being paged in whilst some other
useful work gets done it might seem like the total system is better.
How aggressively one compiles will affect the equation as well; PS &
HPS do fairly simplistic optimisation because the aim is to get a
usable answer *right now*. Exupery is being more painstaking AIUI.
On a machine with multiple cpus available (including a cluster of
machines of course) one could imagine having a somewhat Spoon-like
arrangement where a separate image running somewhere else does the
careful optimised compile and provides the result to clients, rather
than simply passing the method back. You'd need to make it work
asynchronously to some extent I guess rather than blocking. Hell,
extend Spoon a bit and have a compiler service for fee!

tim
My computer NEVER cras