Technology of the technologies (WAS: A Lisper asks, "Am I supposed to like Smalltalk?")

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Thu May 18 20:38:39 UTC 2006

"Sebastián Sastre" wrote:

> [...
> > I could do something interesting with Exupery for a mere 100K
> > Euros or so. Anything less isn't enough to give up the day
> > job for a year or so. More money would of course buy more
> > features and a larger team. ;-)
> >
> > Bryce
> >

> It gives to me arround 300 euros from 300 investors. I don't think is too
> much money for an heatly organization (even non profit). If the volunteers
> can hold the organization of the event (nothing that smalltalk can do for
> them) the people will come. That will be a transparent way to get that
> ammount of money that the organization could invest on is main object of
> interest.
>
> A big event with that finality could certainly do that. Get together key
> people, key persons who can give some light on this regard, the
consecuences
> of the project and today's interesting subjects. Their reunion in a
> positive/constructive environment will certainly atract interest. The
model
> could be 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) in some hotel with
acceptable
> structure in an attactive city (Tip: change in southamerica makes more
easy
> to find a good hotel by less $$ and there is a lot of cultural attractive
> cities). The event could have laboratories, seminars, panels and other
> expositions wich represent the investigations and foundings from people of
> this comunity.
>
> The key for the success of an  event like that will be the volunteers's
hard
> work.

    This is an excellent idea.

    The fine print is that all participants must pay all expenses.
    (Unless The Squeak Foundation decides to spend few million
    Euros for the event ;-)

    The good news is that, I think, the expenses is not more than $50.

    Some don't even have to pay this $50, because they already had it,
    the webcam.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo