Whither Squeak?

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri May 19 12:47:01 UTC 2006

Ralph Johnson puso en su mail :

> Is it possible to start with Spoon and then load in the rest of the
> Squeak codebase?
>
> If so, we should make Spoon be "Squeak light" and the rest "Squeak
> overwight" and keep modularizing it.
>
> -Ralph
I know I'm a beginner and what Craig work is amazing.
But SqueakLight is my child, born as 3.7 hand cut image to 3.6 minimal
following Pavel and others (mine too) cutting tricks.
Currently I have several experimental images for learn the dependency
business the hard way.
And some how to grow to say have mp3 again or have gif/png/jpg reading write
again, loading MorphicWrappers, loading MC1 (and 2) , improving
compatibility to point of could read any originated in 3.8 or 3.9 (and
Morphs created in 3.8 or 3.9) , etc
I have this pieces to minimal what could load and call "emporwements" and
follow .sqz compression and logic for loading.
And have a repository of normal classes in .st and .sqz formats and
something for "learn" from this repository if something was ripped by
cutting and is needed.
My baby could do any what 3.9b could do (no Traits, no Etoys) in sizes what
vary from "below 4 Mb" to 7 Mb depending of what you wish.

I wish say very thanks for all you did for Smalltalk as I follow all courses
and material what I can find and download for learn from you.

Edgar