Whither Squeak?

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Fri May 19 14:18:23 UTC 2006

On 5/19/06, Ralph Johnson <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> What does this mean?  Is this another way of saying "A lot of people
> have been trying to modularize Squeak and we haven't gotten very far."

Yup. Good summary :-).

As to the why: certainly not a lack of brainpower. Squeak ports some
of the brightest minds in the industry. Manpower is probably reason
number one, coordination is tricky as well, and the tools have
performance problems when trying to manage the whole image.

On a more philosophical stance, Squeak has grown organically. And
anything organic tends to get fuzzy, maybe even almost fractal,
borders between the various parts. Try separating a leaf from its
stem, on the cell level, for starters...