Whither Squeak?

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Sun May 21 08:23:38 UTC 2006

Ralph,
There may be a fundamental difference between Word and Smalltalk rearding
modularization. Word is essentially a piece of source code; modularization
here means an orderly refactoring of source packages. The surface
separating Word from its environment is a set of well-defined required and
provided interfaces. The same applies to any module within Word, the notion
of a package is recursive.

Smalltalk is essentially a universe of interlinked and interacting objects.
Class based modularization may be doomed to failure if applied to legacy
parts. A Smalltalk module seems to be more than classes and incremental
methods, but rather a cluster of objects with clearly defined links to
clearly defined objects in its environment. (Classes and methods are
objects in ST, so a program package is a special case of an object module.)

I have tried putting a facade object in front of a Morph, the idea being to
make a component enclosing a morph substructure. It should be easy; a morph
is only a submorph of its owner. Right? Wrong! The variety of objects that
send messages to a simple submorph turned out to be unbelievable. And many
of them were transient, only existing during the execution of certain
operations. May be I gave up too easily. Or may be the number of criss
crossing links in the Smalltalk image makes it impracticable to separate
out an ensemble of objects without building a new morphic implementation
from scratch.

But if we were to define a new kind of object module, we should make sure
it is very clean and implemented in easily reviewable code.

Cheers
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway