Traits for modularity (was: Re: Peeping At The KeyHole)

Roel Wuyts Roel.Wuyts at ulb.ac.be
Mon May 22 09:47:11 UTC 2006

Hi Andreas et. Al,

Note that we (I think I speak for the other authors as well, if not
they will without any doubt speak up) do not claim that traits are
"modules" -- that term is very overloaded anyway, but it typically
assumes some kind of 'black-box'-ness (strong encapsulation) that
Traits do not satisfy. When you see Traits as black-box modules you
get the problems Andreas mentions in his mail (with which I agree up
until a certain point).

But Traits are more of a white-box reuse model: fine-grained
composition of groups of methods, as you would do with inheritance,
but with composition operators. Required methods in that respect are
more like abstract methods: an implementation has to be given when
the trait is used in a class. Note that, compared to subclassing,
trait composition is actually less brittle, since more things are
checked. And that was the point Traits are trying to solve.

That said, more applications and feedback are absolutely welcome.