Spoon progress 23 May 2006: finding dependencies via passive imprinting

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Wed May 24 19:42:31 UTC 2006

Hi Craig

Le Mercredi 24 Mai 2006 06:08, Craig Latta a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas--
>
>  > Spoon is promising, but won't solve everything.
>
>  I don't think anyone said it would... yet. :)  I think you're
> broadening the discussion a bit from what Ralph and I were talking
> about.

Yes, i like to push things a little further.

> We were just dealing with how to disentangle what is in the
> Squeak image right now. Solving this problem is useful all on its own.

I agree, that is already great, and i call it promising when thinking of tools
that we can build above it.
Of course, all my best encouragements for it.

> Clearly there are other problems to solve as well (like how to support
> multiple conflicting applications at the same time).
>
>  But since you raise them...

Yes, i was thinking with a programmer's point of view in a monolithic image:
how to identify and resolve these conflicts?

>  Previously, we had no good solutions to the problems you mentioned. I
> do think Spoon will put us in a better position to solve them.
> Specifically, it will help a lot to have completely unconstrained class
> names, to be able to transfer behavior between systems without using
> source code, compilation, or files, and to have multiple methods
> associated with any given method name.
>
> -C

This is a completely different and pragmatic approach: do not resolve source
code conflicts, let them co-exist peacefully...

Something close to typical OS job: loading different binary executable into
separated space processes, maybe with .dll/.so dynamic loading/sharing. But
then we have displaced the problem at interprocess communication level... How
does spoon compare to this model?

Nicolas