The original Squeak release is available under APSL2.

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Wed May 24 20:17:13 UTC 2006

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Thanks and congrats to everyone that has worked on this!
>
> I think the natural next steps are:
> 1. Finding for each method in recent Squeak, the names of all persons
> who've modified them. The history images should make this feasible.
> 2. Gathering from all contributors a statement saying "all the code I
> ever published into Squeak I relicense APSL 2.0", getting legal advice
> on how to do this right (for example, helping people not declare
> "work-for-hire").
> 3. Making it clear what code in the image remains tainted, to encourage
> rewrites.
>
> But a quick free release would be very nice. Say, Craig, how much code
> is there in Spoon that is not covered by this new license and not
> copyright Craig Latta?
[snip Craig's original message]

I think it would be nice for any code relicensed or published beyond
this release be license under either the new BSD or the MIT license.
That way as code is rewritten and replaced the overall licensing of
Squeak improves. I think the only code that should be APSL is the code
Apple contributes. Maybe doing a simple BSD/MIT based Squeak Public
License or some such.

That way if we replace the IO code with Flow, etc. the licensing
improves. We replace MVC with Tweak. We replace Collections with the
Traits rewrite. etc...  Then we are left with a small core of Apple APSL
code and then other community member contributions with nicer, smaller,
cleaner licenses.

Regardless, under the APSL minimally puts Squeak into an understandable
situation by the larger programming, open source community.

Thanks to all who worked towards this. This could definitely provide a
nice foundation for the future.

Is this where the disassembly of the monolithic image begins?
Shrink this image. Build back up with SM code, or some such.

My 2cents.

Jimmie