The original Squeak release is available under APSL2.

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at techunix.technion.ac.il
Wed May 24 20:36:48 UTC 2006

I agree with Jimmie, consider my proposal amended to read MIT (or
equivalent) license instead of "APSL 2.0". This gives us more
flexibility in the future.

This might seem strange, whats wrong with the APSL? well, I started
looking, and Debian has in the past removed APSL 2.0 packages from
Debian, so they're not satisfied (actually, they seem divided on it).
And people linking Squeak into various libraries might want to note that
APSL 2.0 is not GPL compatible. So yes, there is a reason not to place
any new code under the APSL, and to prefer MIT or such licenses.

That said, I believe the APSL does allow us wide distribution with open
source and free software venues, and is a very easy to live with license
for almost all purposes, and I therefore allow myself to anticipate that
this is the last Squeak licensing discussion I will be engaging in (Yay!).

Daniel