The original Squeak release is available under APSL2.

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu May 25 06:23:23 UTC 2006

>  > Say, Craig, how much code is there in Spoon that is not covered by
>  > this new license and not copyright Craig Latta?
>
>     The only thing I can think of offhand is the support for weak
> references, done by Andreas at Di... Di... no, I'm not going to be the
> first one to mention the next sleeping dog in public. ;)

Actually, no. There is quite a bit of work in Squeak that I have done
that is clearly not owned by the mouse and where I have proof for it.
Weak references is one of them, see for example:

http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/dev/Finalization/2.0/ObjectMemory-Finalization.st

This was released in May 98 (I can probably still find some email
conversation that goes back into 97) and I started working at Disney in
December '98 (finalization first appeared in 2.3 I think which was
released late 98, too). And although I did some consulting work in mid
to late '98 for Alan's group that code was long released by then. I did
it on my own, in my spare time and I own the copyright to these
modifications. (besides that particular code is stupid and should be
replaced anyway; I now know much better and easier and more flexible
ways to deal with finalization)

Cheers,
   - Andreas